It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. (Ephesians 4:11-13)
In the early 1870’s and 1880’s different pastors tried to found a congregation at Louis Corners, WI. However all efforts seemed to be in vain. Through an incident, which surely showed the hand of God, the seemingly impossible became a reality.
It happened that Frederick Voigt had his child baptized by Rev. Martin Denninger at Haven, WI. Thus at this baptism Pastor Denninger was asked to come and preach to the settlers in Town Schleswig. These settlers were mostly German extraction and loved their mother tongue, the German language. Pastor Martin Denninger, always ready to serve his fellowmen with the Word of God and the Sacraments, cheerfully answered the call of these devout followers of Christ. After canvassing this territory, the pastor found a mere handful - - about 18 members. He began in the year 1882 to minister to this little flock.
On May 20, 1907, a special meeting was called for the purpose of calling a resident pastor. A call was extended to George Denninger, a son of Pastor Martin Denninger. Candidate George Denninger accepted the call and became the first resident pastor. He was duly installed by his father in August, 1907.
In March, 1913, in a special meeting, the Rev. Denninger asked for his dismissal as pastor of the congregation. After a lengthy discussion a majority vote granted the pastor a peaceful dismissal. A call was extended to Pastor L. A. Witte of Escanaba MI. The call was accepted by Pastor Witte who was duly installed by Pastor William Schlei of Collins two weeks after Easter.
On May 2, 1920 Pastor L. A. Witte resigned as pastor of the congregation. A call was extended to Pastor William Kuether of Wabeno, WI, who accepted the call and was installed by Pastor L. B. Mielke of SheboyganFalls on August 1, 1920.
In December, 1928, Pastor William Kuether asked for his peaceful release to follow a call into another field in Kewaunee, WI. The peaceful release was granted and he preached his farewell sermon on January 13, 1929. The congregation now extended a call to numerous pastors, but without success. In a call meeting on April 21, 1929, a call was extended to Pastor Harold O. Grunwald of Denmark, WI. He accepted the call and was duly installed on June 2, 1929 by Pastor L. B. Mielke.
On March 20, 1947, a special meeting was called. Pastor Grunwald had received a call from St. Paul’s congregation at Winneconne, WI and had asked to be released from his duties at Zion to follow his call at St. Paul’s. Pastor Grunwald’s request was granted and a peaceful release voted to him. Long and blessed was the ministry of Pastor Grunwald in Zion’s midst.
On the evening of March 27, 1947, a special meeting was called for the purpose of extending a call to fill the existing vacancy. A call was extended to Pastor William Hartwig of Montello, WI. Pastor Hartwig accepted the call and was duly installed on the evening of Pentecost Sunday, May 25, 1947 by Pastor E. G. Behm of Kiel, WI, assisted by Pastors L. H. Koeninger of Manitowoc, WI and Paul G. Hartwig of Neenah, WI.
Pastor William J. Hartwig served the congregation for fourteen years. At the end of October, 1961 he retired from the ministry. On November 28, 1961 Pastor Adalbert F. Schultz, West Allis, WI was called to serve the congregation. He accepted the call and was installed at an evening service on January 1, 1962.
Pastor Schultz served the congregation of Zion for over twenty-six years. In May, 1988 Pastor Schultz announced his intentions to retire from the ministry. A special congregation meeting was held and the congregation made the decision to call a recent seminary graduate student. Pastor James S. Bartz was assigned to serve at Zion. Pastor Bartz was ordained and installed at Zion at a special afternoon service on August 7, 1988. Preacher and Ordinator was Rev. Harold A. Essmann, Waterloo, WI. Liturgist was Rev. Henry F. Koch, Cleveland, WI.
On March 10, 1996 a special meeting was held after the church service to discuss Pastor Bartz’s divine call to serve as an Associate Pastor at North Trinity Ev. LutheranChurch in Milwaukee, WI. Pastor Bartz accepted the call to North Trinity and was given a peaceful release. On March 31 a special meeting was held to call a vacancy pastor and a new pastor. The congregation called a recent seminary graduate.
Pastor Theodore J. Olsen was called to serve the congregation. Pastor Olsen was installed at Zion on July 21, 1996. Rev. Victor Headrickand Rev. Theodore B. Olsen, father to Pastor Theodore J. Olsen, presided over the service.
Our Founding Father and the Constitution
Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men. Let them exalt him in the assembly of the people and praise him in the council of the elders. Psalm 107:31-32.
The first members of the congregation, and consequently the founders were: Frederick Voigt, Frank Zorn, Ephraim Heidemann, William Zorn, William Sternbeck, Fred Rabe, Fred Abel, Alebert Schultz, Gottfried Wenzel, John Rosenbauer, William Heidemann, Abraham Kletzien, Bernhardt hungsberg, Christoph Paul, John Loos, Louis Senglaub, Henry Stoll, Godfried Lueloff, and Louis Sohn. We honor the memory of these men on this occasion as the founders of Zion at Louis Corners.
On the 30th day of April, 1883, the congregation was duly incorporated as “Die Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Gemeinde zu Town Schleswig, ManitowocCounty.” In the year 1904 , the congregation voted to become self-sustaining.
In the annual meeting of 1908? it was voted to name the church “ZionEvangelicalLutheranChurch.” In 1921 a new revised constitution was accepted. The revision committee consisted of A. Lilge, Theodore Voigt, O. Heidemann, and E. Sohn.
In 1932 it became apparent that more services were needed for the youth of the church, and two services a month in the English language were introduced.
The congregation joined the Wisconsin Synod in June, 1950, for it was aware of the fact that it was not God’s intention that a Christian congregation should be an isolated unit, but also concerned about others, to do Mission work, train pastors and teachers, and to help watch over and guard Bible doctrines, to do their just part that Christian books and periodicals used in Church and School be made available. In unity there is strength.
In 1998 a committee was set up to revise the constitution. The revised constitution was brought to the congregation in 1999. By 2001 the congregation was still waiting word from the Northern Wisconsin District Committee on Constitution on the acceptance of the new constitution. At the July 22, 2001 semi-annual meeting the motion was made, and seconded, to repeal the old constitution and accept the new constitution.
One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. Psalm 27: 4.
The first services of our church were held in a public school house. The very first service saw about 125 people present to hear the saving Word of God. One can well realize how trying the winter and spring days must have been to horse and rider, considering that the pastor had to come a distance of sixteen miles over roads that were lanes and were not concrete or blacktop and kept like today. Nevertheless, the pastor could not be discouraged by winter blizzards or impassable roads in spring. The pastor persevered and came regularly to serve the Lord’s children in his field.
For about a year the services were conducted in the school house. Shortly thereafter it was decided by the congregation to erect a house of worship of their own. This was quite an undertaking for so small a group. However the little group fearlessly faced the issues and through the grace of God persevered and overcame all obstacles. The contract was awarded to William Loos of Elkhart Lake, WI to build a frame building measuring 40x28 feet. The cost of construction ran in the neighborhood of $800.00.
Surely great was the joy of all members when their church was completed. Under impressive services conducted by the pastor, the church was dedicated to the Triune God in September 1883. This small edifice served the congregation for many years.
However, in the year 1897 it was decided to build an addition to the church to accommodate the increased membership. Truly, the Lord had held His guiding hand over His children, who had undertaken His work.
The following year, 1898, the contract for an addition and steeple was awarded to William Loos. The members showed their love of their church by willingly helping in hauling material and giving their help where needed. The church was enlarged to measure 60x28 feet. The cost of the addition and the steeple was about $750.00. A bell was purchased from the Henry Stuckstede Bell Foundry Co., St. Louis, MO, at a cost of $225.25. The bell, which is still serving the congregation, has a G tone and bears the inscription: “Soli Deo Gloria” (to God alone the glory). New pews were also purchased from the Northwestern Church Furniture Co., Milwaukee, WI. Great was the rejoicing of the congregation as their new church was completed. The cornerstone of this new house of worship was laid and put in place by Frank F. Thielke.
The dedication services were conducted on September 25, 1898. The skies lent their touch to this festive occasion by giving clear and beautiful weather. In the morning service Professor E. A. Notz of Milwaukee, WI was the guest speaker. The afternoon services were conducted by Pastor M. Denninger. Thus another epoch was written into the history and life of the congregation, showing how God prospered His wonderful work in this community.
Since the congregation was rapidly growing in membership, more children also were added to the church, the congregation realized the need of providing a school room for the proper housing of the “Lambs of Christ.” It was decided to build a church basement for school purposes. A committee of the following members was appointed: L. Sohn, J. Schmidt, F. Koeppen. Thus in 1911 the contract was awarded to Henry Becker of Kiel. The members helped at the work of building concrete steps in front of the church and the building of the basement. The approximate cost of this work ran in the neighborhood of $500.00.
In 1916, the congregation decided at its annual meeting to purchase a new pipeless furnace, since the Ladies’ Aid Society had offered to contribute $100.00 toward the cost. The balance was to be raised through freewill contributions. A committee was appointed to solicit the monies.A committee consisting of F. F. Thielke, F. Winkel, and E. Gutschow was appointed. The Board of Elders was empowered to purchase the furnace. The furnace was purchased from F. W. Mattaeus of New Holstein, WI at a cost of $315.00.
In 1919 the congregation purchased new art glass windows from the Enterprise Art Glass Works of Milwaukee, WI. The committee in charge was: F. F. Thielke, A. Schmidt, and Pastor L. Witte. The cost of the windows was $673.00.
At the annual meeting on January 11, 1926 it was decided to renovate the interior of the church. The committee in charge consisted of: F. F. Thielke, A. Lilge and August Rabe. The ceiling was refinished with stamped galvanized metal and a new hardwood floor was laid throughout the church. The interior of the church was painted by John Ruh. The cost of the renovation was $1,119.00.
In 1938 the congregation was approached by the State Highway Commission in regard to moving the church to make way for paving Highway 149. After numerous meetings with the representatives of the Highway Commission a special meeting of the congregation was called in which it was unanimously decided to sell the right-of-way to the State Highway Commission for the sum of $5,000.00. It was decided to move the church thirty feet from the proposed highway. A building committee consisting of Arthur Thielke, Otto Heidemann, and Louis Sonnemann was appointed. Architect Edgar Steubenrauch of Sheboygan was contacted and asked to submit plans for remodeling the church. Mr. Steubenrach’s plans were accepted and he was engaged as architect. On October 23 the relaying of the cornerstone took place in appropriate services. In the spring of 1939 the program was completed and impressive re-dedication services were held on May 28. The morning service was conducted by Pastor Harold Grunwald. In theafternoon service Pastor M. Braun of Cleveland, WI was the speaker, and Pastor F. Brandt of Appleton, WI was the speaker in the evening service.
The church building was moved back thirty feet and now has an overall measurement of 85x28 feet with a seating capacity of approximately 220. All modern conveniences were installed in the basement and a spacious fellowship hall arranged for Sunday School, Summer School and meetings of the various societies of the congregation. The total cost of remodeling was $8,377.27.
In the annual meeting of 1943 it was decided to have the church property repainted the following summer. In a special meeting held on March 28, 1950, the matter of remodeling and redecorating the interior of the church which had been tabled in the annual meeting, was reopened. A committee consisting of Herbert Pieper, Albert Schmitt, and Elmer Thone, which had been appointed in the last annual meeting, gave a detailed report. This included the moving of the pipe organ to the balcony to gain a wider space for the sanctuary. The report of the committee was accepted. The work of remodeling the interior of the church was let to Fred Maurer of Kiel. The decorating of the remodeled and enlarged sanctuary was done by William Cowell of Kewaunee, WI. The painting in the nave was done by E. Meyer of St. Nazianz, WI. There were various special donations made at this time by individual members. Special mention deserve the beautiful cathedral lamps which flood the nave with ample pleasing light donated by Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Pieper. The total cost of the remodeling program was $4,407.30. A very fitting re-dedication service was held on the second Sunday after Trinity. Pastor Frederick Heidemann, a son of our congregation, was the guest speaker in the morning service. In the afternoon an organ concert was rendered with Professor Wayne Schmidt of Fond du Lac, WI, at the organ. The interior of the church now presents a delightful churchly atmosphere.
In 1953 the congregation started a Church Property Repair Fund to defray the costs of future necessary repairs. Each member was assessed $3.00 per year. In 1957 the assessment was raised to $5.00. per member annually. In 1957 the exterior of the church was repainted. The work was done by Lester Rabe and assistants.
New aluminum siding was put on the outside of the church in 1970 and the church steeple received major repairs in 1971. Two new oil furnaces were installed in the church in 1972. The church basement was tiled in 1977. The church basement walls were covered with fiberglass wall panels in 1978 and the same year protective plexiglass was put over the outside of the church stained glass windows to preserve them.
For many years additions to the church were discussed to give more room for fellowship and classroom space. In 1981, an east entrance was built to enclose the stairs leading up to the sacristy and to improve the steps to the basement. Through generous donations by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Vogel this entrance was made possible.
In 1990, the pulpit, lecturn and altar were restored. The spires on the altar were now as they were originally. David and Ray Diem took upon this task to restore the beauty of our altar, pulpit and lecturn.
At the 1994 annual meeting it was brought up to hook-up the furnaces to natural gas. ManitowocCounty was installing natural gas lines throughout the county and Zion had the opportunity to hook-up the church and parsonage to natural gas. Two new furnaces, for church, and one for the parsonage plus two new hot water heaters were purchased for hook-up to natural gas.
Groundbreaking for the latest building project was held on April 28, 1996 immediately after services. A 40x50 foot addition to the narthex includes two side offices, a mother’s room and a chair lift. This additional space allows for fellowship among the members. The $285,000 building project extended the interior to the south and was built like a horseshoe around the front of the existing church. The interior of the church was also remodeled at this time. The walls were plastered and painted white. The bottom portion of the walls were covered with wood-paneled wainscoting. The ceiling was removed and exposed beams open up the church. Central air conditioning was installed throughout the church and was given through the donation of the Rohde and Heckmann families. Used pews were purchased from GoodShepherdLutheranChurch, Sheboygan, WI. These pews matched the new lighter interior of the church. The building committee consisted of the church council and building and repair members. The members were: James Lubach, Jeff Quast, Mike Strebe, Jerry Buman, Gerald Rabe, Paul Wagner, Jim Hansen and Pastor James Bartz. The addition was dedicated on November 17, 1996 at a special service. Pastor Theodore Olsen was Liturgist and Pastor James Bartz was Preacher.
At the 2007annual meeting it was brought up to remodel the chancel area to enlarge this space. This would allow for the distribution of both individual and common cups at the Lord’s Supper. This motion to enlarge the chancel was passed at the quarterly meeting in April 2007. Ernst Gutschow, President of the Congregation, donated the wood and undertook the task of remodeling the chancel. We now have a beautiful, natural open-area chancel.
Anyone who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with his instructor. Galations 6:6
In 1904, the congregation voted to become self-sustaining and felt the need of erecting a parsonage and having its own resident pastor. The board of elders was instructed to select a proper location for a parsonage. In a special meeting held on January 23, 1905 the board of elders reported to the congregation that the parsonage be built on the church property and be located east of the church and that a well be drilled. It was also suggested, that all members contribute a free-will offering on Reformation Festival for the new parsonage, and that the work of building the parsonage begin in the spring of 1906. In the annual meeting of 1905 a building committee consisting of the following members was elected: F. Thielke, C. Thielke, W. Heidemann, H. Klemme, and R. Quante. Since F. Thielke declined to serve on the committee, A. Schulz was elected to serve in his place.
Another special meeting was called on March 12, 1906, in which a number of members opposed the idea that the parsonage be built on the east side of the church and suggested that the cemetery be laid out in lots for all members. Thus the request of the members, who wished that the parsonage be built on the cemetery, was not honored. In the annual meeting of December 31, 1906, it was resolved to refund all monies contributed for the new parsonage to the members.
A special meeting was held on February 4, 1907. In this meeting it was decided to withdraw the motion that the parsonage be built on the east side of the church. This motion was adopted. A special meeting was called for March 18, 1907. In this meeting it was decided to build a parsonage, and that the congregation accept the offer of Albert (Schultz), who was willing to sell a strip of land – six rods wide and fifteen rods long – for $200.00. On this site the new parsonage should be erected directly south of the church across Hwy. 149. A sum of $2,500.00 was voted for the cost of the building. The pastor appointed the following as members of the building committee: G. Reichardt, C. Ibe, F. Winkel, C. Heckmann, F. Rosenbauer. August Neumann of Kiel was given the contract to build the residence. The total cost was $2,365.00. Besides the parsonage, a barn was also built the same year. The same year a well was drilled on the parsonage lot by Fred Meyer at a cost of $97.60.
On the evening of February 24, 1934 the congregation was visited by a serious disaster. The interior of the parsonage was consumed by flames and almost totally destroyed. The sum of $2,000.00 was received from the insurance company for fire damages. It was decided to have the parsonage rebuilt in bungalow style. The contract was given to Hugo A. Neumann of Kiel. Theodore Voigt, Henry Koeppen, and William Meyer were chosen as building committee. Thus the congregation again possessed a spacious and ultra-modern parsonage.
In the annual meeting of 1943 it was decided to have the old barn at the parsonage razed and a spacious two-car garage built. Since the lot adjacent to the parsonage on the east side was being neglected and permitted to grow up with unsightly weeds and brush, it was decided to purchase the lot from the owner at a cost of $50.00 and on year back taxes due on the same.
Since the parsonage was in need of a fresh coat of paint, but the mere repainting would not adequately fill the need, it was decided in the annual meeting of 1955 to cover the parsonage with a new insulating siding instead of repainting. The work was done by P. Spletter of New Holstein. The parsonage kitchen underwent major remodeling in 1962.
In 1988 it was decided to remodel the parsonage. The pastor’s study was expanded into the front porch and siding and windows were replaced. The new roof was done by Dennis Albright of Kiel and the siding and window work was done by George Younger of Kiel.
In December, 2000 the opportunity to purchase the Charles and Grace Hansen home, which is directly north of the church property, was brought to the church council. The church purchased the property and rented it for three years. In 2003, at the October 19th meeting it was voted to make the Hansen house the current church parsonage and sell the present parsonage. A study was added on to the new parsonage and repairs were made to the house. Pastor Olsen and family moved to the new parsonage in November, 2004.The old parsonage was sold in February, 2005. The pastor and family no longer have to cross over a busy highway to get to church for services and the many activities which take place during the week.
Our Music and Musicians
Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. Psalm 95 1,2.
In the annual meeting of 1914 a lengthy discussion was held regarding the purchase of an organ. Finally the matter was tabled for the time being. The following year the matter was again discussed and an organ committee was appointed consisting of Pastor L. A. Witte, Ed Sohn, and Charles Stanish. This committee reported to the congregation on January 28, 1915. A new pipe organ would cost $775.00. There was a difference of opinion among the members, some favored a reed organ, others a pipe organ. It was finally decided that if the necessary monies for the cost of a pipe organ could be raised, a pipe organ should be installed. The committee made a concerted effort to raise the necessary monies by free-will donations, and was successful. The contract for the new organ was let to H. H. Vogelpohl of New Ulm, MN. The complete cost of the organ was $804.48. With impressive services, the organ was dedicated to the service of the Triune God on May 23, 1915. B. J. Wetzel of Two Rivers, WI presided at the organ at the dedication services.
When the church was remodeled in 1950, it included the moving of the pipe organ to the balcony to gain a wider space for the sanctuary. The contract to dismantle and rebuild the organ was given to the Stoll Organ Company of Oshkosh, WI. The organ was electrified and rebuild with detached console.
The church organ was rebuilt in 1963. B. F. Comstock did the repairs on the organ. In 1983, after the centennial celebration, the organ again went under major repairs. This time Chris Feiereisen did the repairs. In 1988 at the semi-annual meeting it was voted to preserve the leathers on the organ and purchase an organ blower and have it installed when the exchange rates are favorable.
In March, 2008 a special meeting after services was held to discuss the deteriorating condition of the organ. It was decided to purchase a pipe organ from St. Paul’s LutheranChurch in North Fond du Lac, WI. It is a 5 rank organ and is now adding to the praise and glory of our Lord in our worship services.
An acoustic piano was donated anonymously to the church in 1986 and a digital keyboard was purchased for the church, through memorial money, after a vote taken at the annual meeting on December 14, 1998.
In 1943 the Synodical Conference Hymnals were introduced in the congregation. They served the congregation for many years until the synod undertook the task of preparing a new hymnal in the mid 80’s. In 1986, the Wisconsin Synod introduced the Hymnal Sampler which introduced new hymns, psalms and services and would prepare the people of the synod for the new hymnal. On December 12, 1993 the members of Zion used the new hymnal: Christian Worship, a Lutheran Hymnal.
Throughout the years Zion has been blessed with many musicians. From the early years of the congregation Zion sponsored a church orchestra. The orchestra met regularly for rehearsals for playing at church services and other occasions in the life of the congregation. Zion has also been blessed with organists throughout the years. Today Zion has two organists: Patricia Heckmann and Marion (Sue) Zuberbier. We also have a trumpeter who enhances our services throughout the year: Warren Wirth. Zion also sponsors a Mixed Choir and a Treble Choir.
Evangelism – Outreach - Services
“Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.” Mark 15:1
At Zion we remember Jesus’ great commission to the disciples and realize the importance of getting the Word of God out to the people. To that end we have started many activities to get our name out to the people.
But we are also not forgetting our German heritage. In 1995, Ernst Gutschow felt it was important to keep the German language alive and not forget the German roots of ZionLutheranChurch. So he undertook the task of starting a German Christmas service. The first German Christmas service was held December 23, 1995 and has been held every year since then.
The first Easter Sunrise Service with an Easter Breakfast was held in 1982. Although the Easter Sunrise Service was discontinued in 2003, Easter Breakfast still continues before the Easter Festival Service.
We have also held Deer Hunter’s Services in the 90’s to ask God’s protection on the hunters.
Contemporary Services were held once a month on a Saturday from 2002-2006. These services used new technology: DVD’s and powerpoint and were inspiring to those who attended.
Christmas for Kids is a one day VacationBibleSchool which started in 2004. It was started through the efforts of Mrs. Theodore (Melanie) Olsen. The children learn the wonderful news of Jesus’ birth through Word, song, games and of course enjoy treats.
In 2005, an Outdoor Enthusiast Day was held in conjunction with a brat fry. Presenters showed archery for kids, dog retriever, a gunsmith, county forester, a team of horses, parish nursing and county sheriff canine. This has become an annual event and helps the community get to know us a little better.
2005 also was the year Advent by Candlelight was started by the ladies. This is a wonderful evening of the Word, music and fellowship and helps the women prepare their hearts for Advent and the Christmas season. This event is also held annually every year at the beginning of the Advent season.
Church services have been taped for our shut-in members for many years. They are taped on cassette or VCR tapes currently. We have had three members do this taping: Edwin Rohde, Milton Mueller and currently Ray Diem.
WINGZ (Women Involved to Nurture and Grow with Zion) was formed in 2004. This is a women’s Bible study group and helps promote fellowship among the women. On the January 23, 2005 annual meeting WINGZ was accepted as an organization of Zion.
Due to declining numbers, the Ladies Aid disbanded in 2006? The ladies of the Ladies Aid served the church faithfully for many years. They served at many funerals, pastor’s conferences, ManitowocLutheranHigh School, and wherever else they saw the need.
For many years the Sunday School held their own picnic at the end of the Sunday School year. In 1982 it was voted to hold a Church Picnic to replace the Sunday School picnic to involve all the members of Zion. A church service and picnic took place at ManitowocCountyWalla-HiPark from the mid 80’s to 1998? The picnic was then held on the church grounds. Since 2006, Ted and Sue Zuberbier have invited the members to their home on CedarLake for the church picnic and to enjoy good fellowship.
Sunday School and ChristianDay School
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6
The basement to the church was added in 1911, because the members realized the need to instruct the “Lambs of Christ.” This was the beginning of the Sunday School instruction. Throughout the years Sunday School instruction has been held for the children of Zion.
Summer School was also held for the children. This consisted of 3-4 weeks of training the children in the Holy Bible and Luther’s Small Catechism. VacationBibleSchool was started in 1983. This consists of a week long study of Bible stories to learn the truth of God’s Word. The pastor instructs the children who are preparing for Confirmation on a week night during the school year.
The Young People Bible Class was begun in September 1962 and continued through 1996.
Any children who wish to attend a ChristianDay School have the opportunity to do so. A Christian Education Fund has been established for this. Currently five of our members are attending TrinityLutheranChurch in Kiel.
At the July 12, 1998 semi-annual voters meeting it was voted to become part of the Federation of Manitowoc Lutheran High School Our children may attend ManitowocLutheranHigh School when they have finished 8th Grade.
“As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Nigh is coming, when no one can work.” John 9:4
The following committees currently serve the congregation of Zion:
Church Council – Board of Education - 1980
Stewardship – 1974Board of Elders – 1991
Evangelism – 1984Altar Guild –
Christian Education Committee –
The church secretary started as a volunteer position. At the 1991 annual meeting it was voted to make this a paid part-time position. Marguerite Wernecke was the first secretary. Carol Hammel is our current church secretary.
1991 was also the year the first church computer was purchased.
I will give you thanks in the great assembly: among throngs of people I will praise you. Psalm 35:18
The year 1933 ushered in an important milestone in the history of the congregation, the fiftieth since its organization. It was decided to observe the occasion in appropriate services on the 30th of April. The speakers for the occasion were Professor August Piper of our Theological Seminary at Thiensville, WI, and Pastor Martin Denninger of Milwaukee, WI, in the forenoon German services. Pastor William Kuether of Kewaunee, WI, was the speaker in the afternoon German service and Pastor L. A. Witte of Kendall, WI in the English service. The evening speaker was Pastor R. Ziesemer of Appleton, WI. Thus the congregation could look back upon fifty years of gracious guidance and unmerited blessings of our ever-present God.
On May 18, 1958 the congregation celebrated its 75th anniversary. Three services were held. Pastor Frederick Heidemann, New London, WI, preached at the morning service. Pastor Theodore Stern, Two Rivers, WI, preached at the afternoon confirmation reunion service. Pastor Armin Roekle, Visitors of the Manitowoc Conference, preached at the evening service. A dinner for the public was served at .
Two services were held for the celebration of our 100th anniversary. On April 24, 1983, Pastor Frederick Heidemann, New London, WI was the guest preacher. On May 1, 1983 Pastor Paul Hartwig, South Milwaukee, WI was the guest preacher. On both days an anniversary dinner was held at Maynard’s Millhome Supper Club. After the dinner an open house with refreshments were served in the church fellowship hall.
As Zion celebration it’s 125 years its members recall with gratitude the many blessings God has graciously given them. Especially do we praise and thank God for the gift of His saving Word and Sacraments.